Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mona's Strawberry Salad


This will be a blast from the past for some folks as this is one of my mother in laws recipes that was going around in the 70's and 80's. Almost every family had one of these jello salads in their family gatherings. If you look on one of earlier post a few back you will see this on a picture of a holiday dinner back in the 1980's taken at my mother in laws home. (close up picture to be added later)
2 small pkg of strawberry jello 3oz.
2 pkg of frozen strawberries 10 oz. drained
1 large can crushed pineapple 1 lb 4oz. undrained
3 mashed bananas
1cup chopped nuts
1 pt sour cream
1 cup boiling water

In bowl mash bananas add pineapple,pecans, thawed strawberries.
mix boiling water with jello till dissolved.
Add to together and stir till blended. Pour half in a 8x12 pan and chill.
Keep remaining mixture at room temp. After layer is chilled add pt of sour cream and then pour remaining jello mixture over top and jell. Serve with cool whip or shipped cream or plain. Looks good on a lettuce leaf for eye color.

4 comments:

The JR said...

Sounds like a really good jello salad.

I don't think I've had one like this before.

Nancy said...

I am going to have to try this ~ I am totally addicted to Jello :)

CajunDoll said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I made this for years but never relied on my memory. I lost my recipe in Katrina in New Orleans and have tried to duplicate from memory but was never as good. Thank you so much again for posting this wonderful recipe.

Wills Kitchen said...

Hi CD glad you found it my mother in law is from Houma La.
Wife said Thanksgiving or Christmas would not be the same without it.